Sunday, June 15, 2008

Introduction

Hello All!

Well, I'm new to this blogging thing but I needed a place to get my comments and ideas on programming out of my head so this is where I ended up. I'm not even sure anyone will read this thing but just in case you have that much time to waste here's a bit about me.

First and foremost, I'm dad and husband. I have two awesome children (Adrianna Lee 6 f , Carter Isaac 1 m) and a wonderful wife that somehow manages to keep them under control. She's the reason I have enough quiet time to do this in the first place.

Secondly, I'm a programmer. It's my job and quite frankly what I love to do whenever I get time away from the kids (which can be a challenge in itself!). On the job I'm a C++/Python programmer developing cross-platform EDI applications with Qt3, Qt4 and PyQT. I've recently become a huge fan of the Eclipse IDE with the latest Qt4 extensions. I'm kind of impartial to the C++ programming language and really believe that Python is for the idiots and lazy people that won't take the time to learn how a real programming language works. It makes no sense to me that you would create an entirely new language that only takes features away from another language. If you've programmed in both languages then you know what I mean.

I also have a strong background in network administration with an emphasis on Cisco equipment. My latest obsession has become database administration, specifically the MySQL database. I guess the administration of the database isn't really my interest. The thing that got my attention the most is the MySQL API. I'm also trying to learn the MySQL++ API which is really just a C++ wrapper for the old MySQL API.

Last but not least I just took the Certified MySQL Developer I test and passed with a 53 (needed 43 to pass!) I was pretty pleased with that and am hoping to take the CMDEV-II test within the next couple of months.

My other opinions include the following...
1. Microsoft Sucks! Ok, they don't suck completely. Some of their products actually have good functionality. Their entire business philosophy just completely pisses me off though. You'd think they could find something constructive to do with all that dough laying around. The way they mock the Open Source movement by pretending to give some things to the community really irritates me.
2. Open Source is fantastic! Donate all the time you can to help people and open source projects. This is for the benefit of everyone! It's also a great way to get your name out there. I know I try to help anyone out that has questions for me so please do the same for others. I try to pay a visit or two a week to http://www.qtforum.org to try to answer a few questions (username bolt18_80) so check that place out if you have qt questions.
3. Linux is the way of the future. All it's going to take is a few more empty niches in the applications community to get filled before companies stop paying Micro$uck to suck their blood. The gaming market is also lacking on Linux. It's going to take everyone to get there but I really believe it will happen (10 years maybe??)

That about it about me. I'm hoping to make a post once or twice a week pertaining to programming and projects that I'm working on. Maybe even discuss some code snippets and/or design ideas. I'm not sure if this thing allows comments from other users but if it does please do so. I'd love to swap ideas with other programmers.

L8r!

C. S.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sir!
I have sent you an email just now and I still want to thank you and I want to say that I appreciate your zeal to help others in programming.

I really hope to learn programming but it's really difficult for me.
Anyway, i'll try my hardest!
And keep up the great job!
Congratulations too ^_________^

Anonymous said...

I will wait for your reply.
THANKS again *bow*

C. Springer said...

I sent you an email back asking you to be a little more specific about the problems you are having. I'm not a math major though so if you're looking for answers to the questions that I might be the wrong person for the job. Sorry about that. I can, however, answer your programming questions.